From Goldfield to Village
1884–1899 · From Wilson’s arrival to the Mauser order on the eve of war.
Between 1884 and 1899 an unsettled goldfield office became a registered SAR village — a court, a school, a post office and a cemetery — drawn straight from the Transvaal Archives.
Between May 1884 and October 1899, Kaapsche Hoop moved from an unsettled goldfield office to a registered SAR village — with a court, a school, a post office, a cemetery and a commercial life of its own. The founding diggers settled; officials came and went; the village was re-zoned with 233 numbered stands; a fever epidemic came and went; and in the last weeks before the Anglo-Boer War, its burghers were issued two hundred Mauser rifles. This is the second chapter of the village’s life.
Wilson takes over — 5 May 1884
After eight months of acting officers rotating through the office, Pretoria appointed a substantive Gold Commissioner. On 5 May 1884, David Mackay Wilson took over — an appointment that was partly accidental: two months later the Landdrost of Lydenburg suggested moving Wilson on to Moodies Reef and leaving the clerk Bierma behind. Pretoria did not move him. Wilson stayed two years and three months, working from the precinct that became Commissarisplein, the Commissioner’s Square around the 1884 Government Building.
The Wilson administration
Wilson was, by SAR convention, a commissioner of many capacities: he registered licences, collected revenue, presided as magistrate, kept the small jail, oversaw policing and acted as Justice of the Peace — all from one desk. The Berlin Farm boundary question that had haunted Ziervogel and Hoolboom stayed alive across his whole tenure. In May 1884 the journalist Edward Mathers made his first visit to the De Kaap goldfields; his 1888 book Golden South Africa became the earliest substantial outside witness to the diggings in operation.
The Kruger question — 1886
In January 1886 Wilson learned that State President Paul Kruger planned to visit the goldfields. On 14 January 1886 he wrote to Pretoria recommending the visit not take place, citing “various reasons” he did not spell out. The tour proceeded anyway: a government circular reached his office on 3 March, and on 13 April the Kommandant-Generaal wrote about ammunition released from the village’s magazine with Kruger’s personal approval. Whether Kruger actually reached Kaapsche Hoop remains an open question in the record.
The inquiry — and resignation
Through the same months, Wilson’s administration was under formal investigation. On 16 February 1886 the SAR Inspector-General reported on an inspection of his office; Wilson sent written rebuttals to a series of coded accusations, A through H. A separate investigator, Carl Ueckermann, took evidence at the village; his £52-15-0 expenses were settled on 22 May 1886. Three months later, in August 1886, Wilson resigned. The substance of the charges is reserved material and is not reproduced here.
The handover — 2 August 1886
The transition was administratively neat. On 2 August 1886 Wilson and his successor, Mining Commissioner M.C. de Stoppelaar, sat at the Kantoor and signed an Inventaris — a single handwritten Cape Dutch page listing the furniture, the safe, the records, the unpaid promissory notes, the petty cash and the two Government buildings on the office’s books. Wilson signed as outgoing, de Stoppelaar as incoming, two witnesses countersigning. The de Stoppelaar office would carry the village through the rest of the Republican period.

Kaapsehoop Heritage Archive
The village finds its shape — 1888
By 1888 Kaapsche Hoop was a small working town with its own weekly newspaper. Three surviving issues of the North Kaap Telegraph — printed at the Kantoor each Wednesday in late 1888 — name the Pilgrim’s Rest Hotel under M.L. Walsh, a lending library actively acquiring books, a billiard tournament for a silver cup with twelve competitors, and a Caledonian Ball planned for St Andrew’s Day. The same issues report the Coetzeestroom evictions, as the concession-holder displaced diggers from that ground.
The Kantoor read, drank, played billiards, and danced.North Kaap Telegraph, late 1888
Wagener’s numbers — 1889
Recovery did not come from a new strike; it came close to not coming at all. A German observer, Wagener, who spent eight months in the Elandspruit valley, recorded that the Kantoorberg had carried about a thousand diggers in 1887 but only thirty to forty by 1889. The Berlin dispossession had worked its way through the village. Almost everyone had gone but the stand-holders and the small civic population around the office.
A proclamation — 12 May 1891
The Volksraad’s answer to the emptying came in 1891. On 12 May 1891 President S.J.P. Kruger and State Secretary Dr W.J. Leyds jointly signed a Staatscourant proclamation re-zoning Kaapsche Hoop as an SAR village of 233 numbered stands on twelve named streets, released for sale from 25 May 1891. That layout remained the village’s formal basis for the next thirty-three years. The diggers’ camp of 1882 was now a registered village.
Fever, roads and the burgher rolls — 1893–1896
The plateau’s persistent disease environment returned in the autumn of 1893. On 28 April 1893 the Voorzitter Burgers — the village’s civic chairman — formally thanked the Government for help to the sick, the project’s first evidence of a village-level chairmanship. That December Paul Maritz was recorded as Veldcornet of the wijk and appointed sub-road-inspector for the Helvetia section. By 1896 the Lydenburg Kommandant was asking Pretoria for ammunition, and the lists of dienstpligtige burgers — men of military-service obligation — were being compiled.
A post office and a school — 1898
In 1898 the village gained its first purpose-built public building since 1884: a Post and Telegraph Office designed by Sytze Wopkes Wierda, Chief Architect to the Republic, on stands 27–30 in Kantoor Street. Across the road, the State School received a new head teacher — Philippus Johannes Kloppers, twenty-four, born at Arnhem in the Netherlands. His first year was hard: with a roll of thirty pupils, he wrote to Pretoria in November 1898 about the possible dissolution of the school. It did not close. In April 1899 Miss L. de Beer of Barberton joined as assistant teacher.
Two hundred Mausers — 27 September 1899
The last administrative document of the Republican period is not a licence but a request for arms. On 27 September 1899 — fourteen days before the Boer ultimatum — the Lydenburg Kommandant asked the Kommandant-Generaal for two hundred Mauser rifles and ammunition for Barberton and Kaapsche Hoop, answering the burghers’ complaints about their older Martini-Henry rifles. By the time the order was placed, the village was on a war footing: its service-rolls prepared, its Veldcornet in place, its school and post office running. Fourteen days later, the war began.
Sources: Transvaal Archives (Mining Commissioner and Kommandant-Generaal correspondence, 1884–1899); the North Kaap Telegraph (1888); Edward Mathers, Golden South Africa (1888); Wagener in the Deutsche Rundschau (1890); and the Kruger–Leyds proclamation (1891). Detailed citations and biographical identifications are held in the project research file.