Heritage Series · Chapter Five

Quiet Years & Decline

1924–1989 · Gold to asbestos, asbestos to forestry — the years of change.

Between 1924 and 1989 Kaapsche Hoop retooled itself three times. Looked at up close, this was not decline but transition — drawn straight from the Union-era archives.

Between 1924 and 1989, Kaapsche Hoop quietly retooled itself three times. The gold that had built the village in the 1880s was effectively finished by 1913; asbestos arrived in 1924 and was the principal employer for four decades; and while the asbestos works still ran, the Forest Department was already taking over the ground around them. By the 1960s forestry had replaced both, and by 1989 the village had been re-constituted as a township. This is the story of those sixty-five years — not as decline, but as transition.

The end of the gold era — 1913–1924

By the early 1910s the rush that had built Kaapsche Hoop was over. The Hester Mine, the principal underground operation of the 1900s, went into liquidation in 1913. The short-lived Phthisis Sanatorium of 1914 was only nominally working after 1918, its houses sold off across an eight-year disposal. Pawson’s Tribute Gold Mining Company, registered in 1921, worked on a royalty basis, and the Kaapsche Hoop Alluvials were still on the licence lists into the late 1920s. The village had not collapsed. Its founding industry had simply moved on.

A new industry arrives — 1924–1926

In 1924 a geologist, Wal Hall of the Geological Survey, filed the first reports on asbestos near Kaapsche Hoop — the founding documents of the village’s next industry. In the same year, on 17 October 1924, Government Notice 1727 fixed in title much of what the founding families had held informally since the 1880s: the Lambourns, Tophams, Nels and Gouws among the named purchasers. Two years later the first asbestos licence went to Munnik Myburgh Asbestos (Kaapsehoop) Limited — the Myburgh name itself a record of the five founding lineages: Lambourn, Nel, Brink, Gouws and Myburgh.

The Forest Department, already on the ground — 1929

By April 1929 the second great transition was already underway. A man named J. Joffe, asking to work an old mine dump, described the ground as “now belonging to Forest Department” — four years earlier than family tradition places the change. From 1929 the village carried three industrial identities at once: gold in residue, asbestos rising, forestry consolidating. Forty years later, only forestry would remain.

The quiet years at Kaapsche Hoop
The families who stayedThrough every industrial change — gold, asbestos, forestry — the school never closed, the cemetery ran on a continuous file for forty years, and the founding families held their title deeds from one generation to the next.
Kaapsehoop Heritage Archive

The families stay — 1927–1937

A sequence of title actions confirmed the founding families’ continuity. A 1927 Crown Grant went to Paul Maritz — the same man who had been Veldcornet in 1893 and Assistant-Commandant in 1900. A 1934 lease extended Leonard Lambourn’s ground on Farm 43; a 1937 posthumous grant settled the estate of John Parsons. Charles Rupert Lambourn, settled since 1886, was still on the mountain; his granddaughter Ivy Frances Nel would in time become Kaapsehoop’s mayoress. The founding generation was being buried in the cemetery; their children and grandchildren held the title deeds.

The district moves — 1938

For half a century Kaapsche Hoop had been an outlier of the Barberton district. In 1938 that changed: the Executive Council appointed the village a seat for a Magistrate’s Court of the Nelspruit district, abolishing the Periodical Court of 1926. As the roads and railway reoriented toward Nelspruit, so did the village’s civic life — and it was never reversed. In the same era the old farms were renumbered: Kaapsche Hoop No. 43 became No. 483, The Narrows became No. 482.

The institutions that never left

Behind the industrial changes, the village’s small civic institutions ran unbroken. The Staatsschool passed through the 1938 transition without interruption; the cemetery — in use since the 1880s and still receiving the village’s dead today — ran on a continuous administrative file from 1913 to 1954; water rights, first sought in 1913, were vested in 1925; and in 1939 the Swedish Alliance Mission built a church to serve the residents of the Location. The change was industrial. The small civic institutions held.

The asbestos years — 1929–1975

Asbestos was the foreground industry for almost three decades. New Amianthus Mines Ltd ran compound housing under Native Affairs administration from 1929 to 1958, and the organised African workforce lived and worked not in the village itself but on the Kaapsche Hoop farm ground nearer the Berlin forestry section — still part of the farm Kaapsche Hoop, under formal apartheid-era administration. Like every such compound system of the period, it carries its own difficult history that is part of the mountain’s record and is noted here as such. The company’s final substantive appearance in the archive — Kaapsehoop Asbestos (Pty) Ltd — came in 1975, before the wider closure of South African asbestos production.

A new generation of owners — 1947

A second major land-transfer came in 1947, when about sixty village stands were sold by public auction — without mineral rights, which the Government now retained centrally. Twenty-three years after Notice 1727, a fresh generation of family names entered the village’s land record.

Forestry replaces asbestos — 1960–1964

By the late 1950s the Forest Department began transferring its interests to private operators. In 1960 the Executive Council leased portions of The Narrows No. 482 and Kaapsche Hoop No. 483 to Sabey Timbers Ltd; by 1964 Saligna Timbers was operating too. The plantations the visitor sees today date, in their commercial form, from this transition.

The township — 1978–1989

By 1978 the village’s substantive industrial life had drawn down to forestry, residual asbestos administration, a hotel, and a continuous family-residential population. That year the Community Development Board opened a file titled Plaaslike Bestuur · Stigting · Kaapsche Hoop — local-government establishment. Over eleven years it formally re-constituted Kaapsche Hoop as a township, the file closing in 1989.

The village changed. It did not decline.The years of change, 1924–1989

Three retoolings in sixty-five years — gold to asbestos, asbestos to forestry, Barberton to Nelspruit. The institutions held; the land titles passed from one generation to the next. And the Lambourn-Nel bloodline, established at Kaapsehoop in 1886, has not been absent from the mountain in the one hundred and forty years since.

Sources: Transvaal Archives and SAB-depot records of the Union period — Public Works, Mines and Industries, Lands, Native Affairs, the Executive Council, and the Barberton and Nelspruit Magistrate’s offices — with the Clara Soal History of Kaapse Hoop (1975) and Lambourn-Nel family testimony. Company-by-company corporate genealogies and detailed citations are held in the project research file.