The Government School
The village’s longest-running institution — teaching since 1895.
Schooling at Kaapsche Hoop began in 1895 and has run unbroken — through war, Crown Colony, Union and Republic — on the ground reserved for education in 1909.
The Kaapsche Hoop school predates its formal stand reservation by at least fourteen years. Schooling began in the mid-1890s under denominational auspices and has continued — through the Anglo-Boer War, the Crown Colony, Union and Republic — on the same ground into the present day. It is the village’s longest-running institution.
The opening — 1895
The school opened on 7 January 1895 under D. Wiarda, a Catholic teacher who subscribed to the Catholic State Library — three shillings in postage stamps — an indication of the cultural-Catholic framing of the village’s earliest formal education.
The first pupils — 1894–1899
The earliest recorded pupils came even before the formal opening: S.J. Gouws and J.W. Nel, named in a December 1894 document — the first archive-confirmed Kaapsche Hoop schoolchildren. In February 1899 A.W. Gouws and the Myburgh-family children appear. Together these confirm three of the village’s founding-family lineages — Gouws, Nel and Myburgh — had children at the school in the 1890s. The Nel connection runs through to the family home described on the Nel Cottage page.
The Kloppers era — 1898
The school’s longest-serving educator was Philippus Johannes Kloppers, Hoofd Onderwijzer (headmaster) from 1898 — twenty-four, born at Arnhem in the Netherlands. His first year was hard: with a roll of about thirty pupils, he nearly lost the school to dissolution in November 1898, writing at length to Pretoria about its condition and possible closure. A community meeting was called; the school stayed open. A junior relation joined as assistant teacher from early 1898.
The first teachers and inspectors
In April 1899 Miss L. de Beer of Barberton accepted the assistant-teacher post — the village’s first archive-confirmed female teacher. A further applicant, H. Acut, wrote in from the Godwanrivier post office the same year. The school’s operation was reviewed by H. Moora, Inspector of Schools for the district, through 1898 and 1899 — one of the men who let Kloppers keep the school through the dissolution scare.
Kept at his post — 1900
By formal order of the SAR Assistant-Commandant, Kloppers was specifically retained at Kaapsche Hoop through the war years to keep the school running. At a time when the Republic was losing officials to commando service, it chose to keep its rural schoolmaster at his desk.
The State chose to keep its rural schoolmaster at his post through the war.SAR Assistant-Commandant’s order, 1900
The mintmaster
Kloppers is also the figure behind the village’s Veld Pond tradition: in 1902 he was named Muntsmeester (mintmaster) for the SAR’s emergency wartime gold-coinage. Whether that mint actually operated at Kaapsche Hoop remains an open question, honestly noted.
The 1909 reservation
On 12 April 1909, under the Crown Colony administration, Stand 233 — the highest-numbered stand in the 1887 village plan — was formally reserved “in name of Colonial Secretary for Educational Purposes.” It is the village’s earliest archive-confirmed educational reservation, formalising what had already operated for over a decade. The present school building on that stand is its direct cadastral successor.
The school hostel
Two later reservations relate to a school hostel rather than the primary school: a ten-stand lower-village block reserved in 1924, formalised at Executive Council level in 1928. The 1925 Barberton School Board file is titled “Kaapsche Hoop School Hostel” — almost certainly intended to accommodate pupils from outlying farms who could not travel to the mountain daily.
A century of teaching
The school continued through the district’s transfer from Barberton to Nelspruit in 1938 and on into the present. The visitor stands on ground that has been reserved for education for more than a century — the thread of the village’s life that never broke.
Sources: SAR Education (OR-series) correspondence (1894–1902); the 1909 Deeds Office reservation for Stand 233; the 1924 and 1928 hostel reservations; and the Barberton School Board files. Detailed citations and the school’s post-1960 institutional history are held in the project research file.