Kaapsehoop Heritage · Buildings

The Post Offices

From a corner of a cottage to a Wierda landmark — four post offices in one village.

The story of Kaapsche Hoop’s postal service mirrors the village itself — from an improvised camp office to the Republic’s last great public building on the mountain.

The story of Kaapsche Hoop’s postal service mirrors the village itself — from an improvised corner of the Commissioner’s office to the Republic’s last great public building here. Its earliest post office had no building at all.

Barrett and Seidel — 22 January 1883

For its first years the mail — the post-bag, the franked correspondence, the cash-on-hand — was handled from one corner of the small stone Commissioner’s cottage, alongside the public waiting for court. The earliest postal document is an application by two men, Barrett and Seidel, to be appointed Postmasters (their outcome unresolved). Mail arrived by wagon from Barberton, Pretoria and Lourenço Marques.

The entire village’s mail was sorted, sealed and dispatched from one corner of one small stone building.The first post office, 1883–1885

The Brink years — 1885

When the new Government Building opened in 1885, the post-counter moved across the square into its “P. Office” wing. J.A. Brink became Postmaster that year — also Landdrost’s clerk from 1889 and Magazine Master to 1891. The village named a principal street, Brink Street, after his family — not after any commissioner.

A Wierda landmark — 1898

By the mid-1890s the village had outgrown that wing. In 1898 a purpose-built Post and Telegraph Office rose on Erf 30, designed by Sytze Wopkes Wierda — Chief Architect of the Republic, the same Wierda who designed Pretoria’s Palace of Justice and Raadsaal — adapted from his Amersfoort post-office plan. Its first postmaster, J.E. Huizenga, petitioned to have his wife and son moved to safer Barberton.

A wartime backbone

From 14 September 1900 — the day Pole-Carew’s division occupied the village — the Wierda building was telegraph station K1 on the Barberton-area network. Frontier post offices were targets: the Kaapsche Hoop office was embezzled by a postmaster named Petersen in 1892 and burgled through a front window in 1893. A new postal building followed on the same Erf in 1927.

Sources: SAR postal and Public Works dockets (1883–1900); the Wierda Amersfoort blueprint of 17 January 1898; and Hippisley’s History of the Telegraph Operations (1903). Detailed citations are held in the project research file.